Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Article published in The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene


 Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 105(5), 2021, pp. 13471355

doi:10.4269/ajtmh.21-0691

Copyright © 2021 by The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene

 

Higher Prevalence of Extended Spectrum b-Lactamase Producing Uropathogenic Escherichia coli Among Patients with Diabetes from a Tertiary Care Hospital of Kathmandu, Nepal

 

Tulsi Nayaju1, Milan Kumar Upreti1, Alina Ghimire1, Basudha Shrestha2, Basanta Maharjan2, Rajesh Dhoj Joshi2, Binod Lekhak3, and Upendra Thapa Shrestha3*

 

1Department of Microbiology, GoldenGate International College, Kathmandu, Nepal; 

2Kathmandu Model Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal;

3Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal

 

*Address correspondence to Upendra Thapa Shrestha, Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Bagmati 44600, Nepal. E-mail:  upendra.thapashrestha@cdmi.tu.edu.np

 

These authors contributed equally to this work.

 

ABSTRACT

 

This study aimed to determine the occurrence of antibiotic resistance genes for b-lactamases; blaTEM and blaCTX-M in uropathogenic Escherichia coli isolate from urinary tract infection (UTI) suspected diabetic and nondiabetic patients. A hospital-based cross-sectional study was conducted in Kathmandu Model Hospital, Kathmandu, in association with the Department of Microbiology, GoldenGate International College, Kathmandu, Nepal, from June to December 2018. A total of 1,267 nonduplicate midstream urine specimens were obtained and processed immediately for isolation of uropathogens. The isolates were subjected to antibiotic susceptibility testing and extended-spectrum b-lactamase (ESBL) confirmation. In addition, blaTEM and blaCTX-M genes were detected using specific primers. The overall prevalence of UTI was 17.2% (218/1,267), of which patients with diabetes were significantly more infected; 32.3% (31/96) as compared with nonpatients with diabetes, 15.9% (187/1,171). A total of 221 bacterial isolates were obtained from 218 culture-positive specimens in which E. coli was the most predominant; 67.9% (150/221). Forty-four percent (66/150) of the total E. coli was multidrug-resistant and 37.3% (56/150) were ESBL producers. Among 56 isolates, 92.3% (12/13) were from patients with diabetes, and 83.0% (44/53) were from nondiabetics. Furthermore, 84.9% of the screened ESBL producers were confirmed to possess either single or both of blaTEM and blaCTX-M genes. The blaTEM and blaCTX-M genes were detected in 53.6% and 87.5% of the phenotypically ESBL confirmed E. coli, respectively. Higher rates of ESBL producing uropathogenic E. coli are associated among patients with diabetes causing an alarming situation for disease management. However, second-line drugs with broad antimicrobial properties are still found to be effective drugs for multidrug-resistant strains.

Fulltext: Download

9 comments:

Mekhi Brown said...

Yes I have worked with Doctor Austin . He is the reason am called a man because I was having a small penis which can not even satisfy a woman an sorry to say this but I will always be grateful to Doctor Austin because his product work perfectly for me and without any side effect well all I can tell you as a friend is to trust and believe in him. Am sorry to say that Doctor Austin is like a living God. He is too kind and he is a man of his word.you can contact him for assistance and directions via his email : doctoraustin3 @ gmail. com Via WhatsApp +2347049682791

alalos s0fia said...

HELLO EVERYONEI’M SO GRATEFUL TO DR. ONUWA FOR CURING ME COMPLETELY FROM HERPES VIRUS . I WAS TOLD I HAVE HERPES IN 2011, I HAVE BEEN TAKING DIFFERENT KINDS OF MEDICATION STILL YET NO IMPROVEMENT UNTIL I SAW TESTIMONIES OF DR. ONUWA CURING HERPES, DIABETES, HIV AND OTHER DISEASE I WAS SKEPTICAL ABOUT CONTACTING HIM BUT I ALSO KNEW THE IMPORTANCE OF HERBAL MEDICINE, I MADE UP MY MIND AND CONTACTED HIM WE TALKED ON PHONE AND HE PREPARED AND GAVE ME MEDICINE WHICH I TOOK ACCORDING TO HIS DOSAGE INFORMATION. NOW I’M SO HAPPY I’M CURED FROM HERPES MY HEART IS SO FILLED WITH JOY, THANK YOU SO MUCH DR. ONUWA . IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU HAVE HERPES OR ANY KIND OF DISEASE CONTACT HIM TODAY EMAIL:DRONUWA2@GMAIL.COM ..
HE CURE LISTED DISEASES
CANCER
HIV
ALS
EX BACK JOB OPPORTUNITY
HEPATITIS A AND B
DIABETIC. ETC


https://dronuwa2.wixsite.com/my-site

Nancy Allen said...

I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS patient in the world i never believed that there could be any complete cure for Herpes or any cure for herpes,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites of how Dr OKITI  prepare herbal cure and brought them back to their normal health again. i had to try it too and you can't believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stopped gradually. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain, and i have just went for test last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any herpes system in my body. Glory be to God for leading me to this genuine Doctor Dr OKITI I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that it's Not true, Here is his email: drokitiherbalherbalhome100@gmail.com or WhatsApp number ‪+1 (484) 393‑5484‬

Jessi Millwood said...

Natural Herbal Medicine To Cure {HERPES DISEASE} TOTALLY HERE
Do you need a solution to cure your Herpes Disease contact Chief Dr Lucky to help and he will surely help you to cure your Herpes Virus .. I have suffered from Herpes-2 Virus for 4years ago that almost took my life. But one day I was searching the internet and I found Chief Dr Lucky saw so many testimonies on how Chief Dr Lucky helps people in curing their deadly diseases, and I contacted Chief Dr Lucky, asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. He prepared herbal medicine for me and I received the herbal medicine and after using it for 2 weeks my condition has greatly improved, all my symptoms including Abdominal pain, Nausea and vomiting, Loss of appetite stopped, so I went to my doc and was confirmed negative. I am Herpes Virus free! contact the herbal doctor via his email> chiefdrlucky@gmail.com also visit his page> http://facebook.com/chiefdrlucky or his cell number / WhatsApp> +2348132777335

Do you need Finance said...

Do you need personal loan?
Loan for your home improvements,
Mortgage loan,
Debt consolidation loan,
Commercial loan,
Education loan,
Car loan,
Loan for assets.
financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com WhatsApp +918929509036

Shawn philips said...

I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $800 and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

Evelyn Marshall said...

There are herbal therapies that could totally eradicate Herpes Simples Virus 2 and HIV/AIDS from the body like DOCTOR RAZOR Traditional Medicine there have been proofs and lots of testimonies to that effect. I took my time to investigate this Dr RAZOR Products on how his herbs Effectively cured my friend Peterson and his girlfriend who contracted this embarrassing Virus As well and Lupus. I was astonished which made me other for the product, I am glad to be fully cured of HIV/AIDS . Do not let doubt hinder you from being reed , he is a genuine man , Contact Dr. RAZOR via his email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com
Whatsapp or Call him directly on :
+2349065420442
HIS FB PAGE : https://www.facebook.com/HerbalistrazorMedicinalcure/
Please don't die in pains while Allowing doubt to make you lose this opportunity

Jennifer Haynes said...

I wanna share my testimony on how I got cured from herpes through the help of Dr Oliha. I've been suffering from herpes for the past one year now and I've been trying and taking a lot of medication but they were not working out for me until I saw a post about Dr Oliha natural remedy, I contacted him and my problems was solved he is a real traditional herbal doctor and he has cured a lot of sickness also. Visit & Contact him on his WhatsApp number:+2349038382931 he will help you out or email oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Eliminate Herpes with herbal remedy from Robinsonbuckler11@[gmail.com]

Bacteria in Photos

Bacteria in Photos