Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Efficacy of Urine Dipstick Test in Diagnosing Urinary Tract Infection and Detection of the blaCTX-M Gene among ESBL-Producing Escherichia coli

 


Article

 

Efficacy of Urine Dipstick Test in Diagnosing Urinary Tract Infection and Detection of the blaCTX-M Gene among ESBL-Producing Escherichia coli

 

Rubina Gurung1, Sanjib Adhikari1, Nabaraj Adhikari1, Sanjeep Sapkota2, Jid Chani Rana3, Binod Dhungel1, Upendra Thapa Shrestha1, Megha Raj Banjara1, Prakash Ghimire1 and Komal Raj Rijal1*

 

1Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur 44600, Kathmandu, Nepal;

2Department of Microbiology, Birendra Multiple Campus, Tribhuvan University, Bharatpur 44200, Chitwan, Nepal;

3Department of Microbiology, Bharatpur Hospital, Bharatpur 44200, Chitwan, Nepal;

 

* Correspondence: rijalkomal@gmail.com or komal.rijal@cdmi.tu.edu.np

 

ABSTRACT

 

A urine dipstick test used for prompt diagnosis of urinary tract infection (UTI) is a rapid and cost-effective method. The main objective of this study was to compare the efficacy of the urine dipstick test with culture methods in screening for UTIs along with the detection of the blaCTX-M gene in extended spectrum-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli. A total of 217 mid-stream urine samples were collected from UTI-suspected patients attending Bharatpur Hospital, Chitwan, and tested by dipstick test strip (COMBI-10SL, Germany) prior to the culture. E. coli isolates were identified by standard microbiological procedures and subjected to antimicrobial susceptibility testing by Kirby Bauer disc diffusion method following CLSI guideline. Primary screening of ESBLproducing E. coli isolates was conducted using ceftriaxone, cefotaxime and ceftazidime discs and phenotypically confirmed by combined disk diffusion test. Plasmid DNA of ESBL-producing strains was extracted by phenol-chloroform method and subjected to PCR for detection of the blaCTX-M gene. Out of 217 urine samples, 48 (22.12%) showed significant bacteriuria. Among 46 (21.20%) Gram negative bacteria recovered, the predominant one was E. coli 37 (77.08%) of which 33 (89.19%) were multidrug resistant (MDR). E. coli isolates showed a higher degree of resistance towards cefazolin (62.16%) while 81.08% of the isolates were sensitive towards amikacin followed by nitrofurantoin (70.27%). Among 14 (37.84%) phenotypically confirmed ESBL isolates, only eight (21.62%) isolates carried the blaCTX-M gene. Sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV) and negative predictive value (NPV) of urine dipstick test were 43.75%, 77.51%, 35.59% and 82.91%, respectively. Besides, the use of dipstick test strip for screening UTI was associated with many false positive and negative results as compared to the gold standard culture method. Hence, dipstick nitrite test alone should not be used as sole method for screening UTIs.

 

Keywords: Escherichia coli; ESBL; sensitivity; specificity; PPV; NPV; blaCTX-M

 

Citation: Gurung, R.; Adhikari, S.; Adhikari, N.; Sapkota, S.; Rana, J.C.; Dhungel, B.; Thapa Shrestha, U.; Banjara, M.R.; Ghimire, P.; Rijal, K.R. Efficacy of Urine Dipstick Test in Diagnosing Urinary Tract Infection and Detection of the blaCTX-M Gene among ESBL-Producing Escherichia coli. Diseases 2021, 9, 59. https://doi.org/10.3390/diseases9030059

 

Academic Editor: St Patrick Reid

Received: 26 June 2021

Accepted: 26 August 2021

Published: 27 August 2021

 

Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

 

Copyright: © 2021 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open-access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/

 

FULLTEXT: Download

8 comments:

Jason Gilbert said...

IGNORANCE IS A MAJOR HUMAN HEALTH CHALLENGE

I am Jason, a Swiss national. Your biggest enemy might be fear, uncertainty, the mistakes others have made in the past, or even stories told by others who have never made a real effort to seek better health. At 39, my dreams were almost shattered as I had lived with HIV for 6 years due to a month-long relationship with a former high school lover. All thanks to Dr WHITE thanks to whom I was healed and my light was rekindled. I was devastated, I stopped dreaming, hope was lost but my decision to try an herbal remedy after researching online brought me back to life. So when your doctor tells you that there is no cure for viral infections, you are telling yourself to hell. Today I did a series of confirmatory HIV tests and everything has proven that I am sober. Protect yourself from HIV, Herpes, HPV, Hepatitis and more by contacting Dr White on Whatsapp 00234-9091-844595. Her medications have no side effects, can be mailed to you, no hidden charges, and are taken for a few weeks for full recovery. I have posted this in many forums and a lot of people and called me to say thank you. Together we can save and love once endless antiretroviral drugs with so many side effects.
Face book: Jason Gilbert

Andrea Roman said...

Dr Osato has truly proven to the world that he is real and genuine and he has used his herbal exploit to save many people from HERPES, HIV, HPV, COLD SORE, CANCER, DIABETES and so on. I was diagnosed with herpes and HPV in 2019 and I have been searching and asking questions to see if i could get something to cure the virus because i did not believe what the doctors are saying that no cure is found yet. I came across a comment on Youtube and the person testified how she was cured from HSV2 after using Dr Osato herbal medicine. I quickly contacted Dr Osato and explained my problem to him and he prepared the herbs and sent it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and told me to go for checkup after usage which I did after two weeks of taking the herbal medicine and my result was NEGATIVE. I waited another month and retested, the result was still NEGATIVE and my doctor told me that I am completely free from herpes and hpv. Am so happy and grateful to Dr Osato for what he has done for me and I will continue to share this for people out there to know that there is a cure for herpes and hpv. You can contact Dr Osato on email and WhatsApp to get the cure from him. Email: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com and WhatsApp +2347051705853. His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr Osato cured me from HSV-2 with his herbs, I was nervous when I first contacted him about the cure for HSV-2 but I decided to give him a try because I was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV-2. Dr Osato prepared the cure and sent it to me through UPS,which I used just the way Dr Osato instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary of this cure. I went back to the hospital after 14days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV-2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr Osato took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HSV-1&2. Dr Osato heals with natural herbs. Please i urge you to contact him now through his email address: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2347051705853. His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com and he is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds,DIABETES and so many other infections.

Bella Barud said...

ATTENTION PLEASE!!! Am so glad to be expressing my profound gratitude to a man that is so concerned about other people's well being. I was suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE II) The doctors keep telling me that there is no cure but i believe that there is a cure somewhere and they don't want people to get cured. I tried searching online if i could see anything that will help me and i a comment on YouTube on how Dr Osato help to cure herpes with herbs and i also saw so many comments about him on many web pages on how he had helped and cured so many people suffering from HERPES 1$2, HPV, CANCER, HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, COLD SORE. So I contacted him through his email and I shared my problems with him and he sent me the herbs through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it. It took me two weeks to finish the herbs and after I finished using it, he told me to go for a medical test, behold the result was negative, now I am HERPES VIRUS free. I just want to use this platform to thank Dr. Osato for curing me from that horrible disease and also for exposing his herbal cure to the world at large, please you can as well contact Dr Osato on his email,website or WhatsApp below.

Email: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com
Website: osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com
WhatsApp: +2347051705853

Dr Osato herbs is the perfect remedy for Herpes1&2, HPV, HIV and other diseases. 

Katrice said...

Are you heartbroken or thinking of how you are to live the rest of your life with Herpes? I'm here to tell you to cry no more, for Dr Osato is here to help you with the cure for herpes. I was diagnosed with genital herpes in January this year and I have been searching and asking questions to see if I could get something to cure the disease because I did not believe what the doctors say that no cure is found yet. I came across a comment on Youtube and the person testified how she was cured from herpes1&2 after using Dr Osato herbal medicine. I quickly contact Dr Osato on email and explain my problem to him and he prepare the herbs and send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and tell me to go for checkup after usage which i did after two weeks of taken the herbal medicine and my result was NEGATIVE  and my doctor confirm with me that am completely free from herpes. I'm so happy and grateful to Dr Osato for curing me from herpes and I will continue to share this for people out there to know that there is a cure for herpes. Dr Osato also has the cure for different types of diseases and viruses like HERPES, HIV, HSV1&2, DIABETES, CANCER, VAGINAL INFECTION, HPV, Sickle Cell, BLOOD PRESURE Cold Sore ect. You can contact Dr Osato on email and WhatsApp.... Email: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2347051705853. His Website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com

Dr Osato herbal medicine is the best remedy for herpes and you can contact him today to get cured. 

Kayla Marrie said...

Hi everyone, I'm here to give my own verdict about the herbal cure Dr Osato is sending out to people to cure them of Herpes and HIV. Dr Osato herbal medicine is the best remedy for Herpes1&2 and HIV/AIDS, I was a carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on Youtube on how Dr Osato cure Herpes with herbs, I decided to have a contact with him and asked him for solutions and he started the remedy for my health and prepare the herbal cure for me and send it to me through UPS and he gave me instructions on how to use it which i rightly followed and after 14days of taking the herbal medicine i went for a blood test and my result was Negative. I waited for 3months to confirm my result before sharing this testimony and also to observe myself if i would have an outbreak and nothing came out from my body, i went for another blood test after 3 months of testing Negative and the result still shows Herpes Negative and my doctor was pretty sure i was totally cured from herpes and he confirm with me that I'm free from herpes. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr Osato herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr Osato and i will not stop publishing his name on the internet because of the good work he did for me, You can contact Dr Osato on email: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com Or you can call and WhatsApp him on +2347051705853. His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com

DOCTOR OSATO CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

1. HIV/AIDS
2. HERPES
3. CANCER OF ALL KINDS
4. HPV
5. Hepatitis A,B,C
6. Diabetes
7. CHRONIC DISEASE

Natural remedies for curing HIV/ AIDS and Herpes call and whatsapp +2347051705853

Monica said...

Hello everyone, Are you looking for a professional trader, cryptocurrency/forex and binary manager who will help you trade and manager your account with good and massive amount of profit in return. you can contact Mr. Anderson for your investment plan, for he helped me earned $8,600usd with little investment funds. Mr Anderson you're the best trader I can recommend for anyone who wants to invest and trade with a genuine trader, he also helps in recovery of loss funds..you can contact him on his whatsapp:+(252)285-2093 Email:(andersoncarlassettrade@gmail.com)I advice you shouldn't hesitate He's great.

Alfreed Siang said...

Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Olu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Olu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Olu , I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Olu did it for me, contact him on WhatsApp at +2348140654426 or email him on drolusolutionhome@gmail.com for more information














































Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Olu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Olu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Olu , I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Olu did it for me, contact him on WhatsApp at +2348140654426 or email him on drolusolutionhome@gmail.com for more information

Bacteria in Photos

Bacteria in Photos