Friday, June 10, 2022

Multidrug-resistant bacteria with ESBL genes: A growing threat among people living with HIV/AIDS in Nepal



Multidrug-resistant bacteria with ESBL genes: A growing threat among people living with HIV/AIDS in Nepal

Riju Maharjan1, Anup Bastola2, Nabaraj Adhikari1, Komal Raj Rijal1, Megha Raj Banjara1, Prakash Ghimire1 Upendra Thapa Shrestha1*

1 Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal

2 Sukraraj Tropical and Infectious Disease Hospital, Teku, Kathmandu, Nepal

 

*Corresponding author: Upendra Thapa Shrestha, Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal, Email: upendrats@gmail.com /  upendra.thapashrestha@cdmi.tu.edu.np

 

ABSTRACT

Background: Bacterial opportunistic infections are common in people living with HIV/AIDS (PLHA). Besides HIV-TB co-infection, lower respiratory tract infections (LRTIs) due to multidrug-resistant (MDR) bacteria cause significant morbidity and mortality among PLHA. This study identified bacterial co-infection of the lower respiratory tract and detected plasmid-mediated blaTEM and blaCTX-M genes among Extended-Spectrum b-Lactamase (ESBL) producing isolates from sputum samples in PLHA.

Methods: A total of 263 PLHA with LRTIs were enrolled in this study, out of which, 50 were smokers, 70 had previous pulmonary tuberculosis, and 21 had CD4 count <200 cells/µl. Sputum samples collected from PLHA were processed with standard microbiological methods to identify the possible bacterial pathogens. The identified bacterial isolates were assessed for antibiotic susceptibility pattern using modified Kirby Bauer disk diffusion method following Clinical Laboratory Standard Institute (CLSI) guidelines. In addition, plasmid DNA was extracted from MDR and ESBL producers for screening of ESBL genes; blaCTX-M and blaTEM by conventional PCR method using specific primers.

Results: Of 263 sputum samples, 67 (25.48%) showed bacterial growth. Among different bacterial pathogens, Klebsiella pneumoniae, (17; 25.37%) was the most predominant, followed by Haemophillus influenzae, (14; 20.90%)  and  Escherichia coli, (12; 17.91%). A higher infection rate (4/8; 50%) was observed among people aged 61 -70 years, whereas no infection was observed below 20 years. About 30.0% (15/50) of smokers, 32.86% (23/70) cases with previous pulmonary tuberculosis, and 52.38% (11/21) with CD4 count <200 cells/µl had bacterial LRTIs. Among 53 bacterial isolates excluding H. influenzae, 28 isolates were MDR and 23 were ESBL producers. All ESBL producers were sensitive to colistin and polymyxin B. Among ESBL producers, 47.83% (11/23) possessed blaCTX-M, 8.6% (2/23) were positive for blaTEM gene, and 43.48% (10/23) possessed both ESBL genes.

Conclusion: The increasing rate of MDR bacterial infections, mainly ESBL producers of LRTIs causes difficulty in disease management, leading to high morbidity and mortality of PLHA. Hence, it is crucial to know the antibiogram pattern of the isolates to recommend effective antimicrobial therapy to treat LRTIs in PLHA.

 

Keywords: PLHA, Lower respiratory tract infection, ESBL, blaCTX-M, blaTEM

Citation: Maharjan et al. Multidrug-resistant bacteria with ESBL genes: A growing threat among people living with HIV/AIDS in Nepal. BMC Infectious Diseases (2022) 22:526
https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-022-07503-2


Fulltext Article: Download

3 comments:

Phyn said...

Marcelo is my birth name [phynmarcel15@gmail.com]. Truly nature can heal it all. I can conveniently say this because I have walked down that road, I have been between the devil and the deep blue sea, I have seen the bad and the ugly in trying to get my life fixed not withstanding how many times I failed i was still determined to get healing because I was young and had dependent. Physicians told me to learn to leave with itching, pains and burning and continue to take my pills even when they make me depressed. I decided to exploit more by stuffing the internet and research. I read great testimonies of Dr. White {Drwhitethehivhealer@gmail.com} Published by a sincere survivor on national daily. Being a herbalist with a big heart, the man I will always call dad and savior, we discussed and he vowed to save me provided I tell others about him after which he sent me the cure through courier to be used twice daily for 3weeks. My only difficulty was one of the medicines was pretty bitter but Don’t just give up hopes now, keep faith, this man is anointed by the most high to help end your HERPES, other VIRUSES like HIV and HEPATITIS, CANCER and BACTERIAL infections. Email him today or Watsapp +2349091844595 and thank heaven thereafter. Go through the tunnel it promises to give light at the end.

Luana Salvador said...

Hello hello everyone My name is Luana Salvador, I am from Braga in Portugal, I am a member of the Minho staff. I have been suffering from genital warts (HPV) for more than 5 years and suddenly I spent a lot of money to make sure I was healthy, but luckily 2 months ago on February 3, 2017 to be precise, I came into contact with a herbal healer online who has helped many people around the world and heals seemingly incurable diseases, his name is Dr_water. First of all I thought it was a joke until I contacted Dr_water through this email DRWATERHIVCURECENTRE@GMAIL.COM and he told me that he is curing me. He asked me for my data and the money for the treatment. After a week he sent me medicine to Portugal and gave me prescriptions to use the medicine. And really, I started to get my health back as soon as I started using the medicine, I noticed that the warts start to dry up and gradually disappear. I finished the treatment last month and then I went to my hospital and my doctor confirmed that I was cured of HPV, all the medical tests I did were negative, I was completely cured. I am very happy to share this experience because I still cannot contain my enthusiasm.
This is his Whatsapp number +2349050205019, and this is his email: DRWATERHIVCURECENTRE@GMAIL.COM. It also has medicines to cure HIV, Herpes, Diabetes, Hepatitis B and C, Cancer, Asthma and many more. I think it can cure almost a kind of disease. You can follow me on twitter @luanajulian1981

Marcelo Costa Junior said...

Hello, i am Marcelo Paes Costa Junior, and i am from Rio, in Brazil. Let me give this testimony to the public about a great herbal doctor who helped me out with my own illness. I had HIV/AIDS for over 5 years and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the way my skin looked like. All I have in my mind is to give up, because life is not interesting to me any longer. One night, my sister ran to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure HIV/AIDS, i was not even interested because i never believed. She help me out on everything the doctor asked for, filled the treatment form for me and even used her own money to get the medicine for me. During one week of using the medicine, I started getting more stronger, my blood started to flow normally 4 to 5 days later, I start gaining Weight, before the 3rd week, my body started developing, my skin started coming up. After a month, I went for HIV test and I was tested negative. I’m so happy that I can say I’m not an HIV/AID patient again. if you have HIV/AID or Hepatitis, or Herpes or HPV or coronary artery diseases or any sickness please contact Dr.O.Water. His email is: DRWATERHIVCURECENTRE@GMAIL.COM and His whatsapp number is : +2349050205019. I wish you good luck on this, God bless you all. i have a health group on twitter please follow me @Marcelocostapa2 and join my health group so that we can share information, create awareness and help others. You can also email me on marcelocostajunior1967@gmail.com

Bacteria in Photos

Bacteria in Photos